Tuesday 8 September 2015

Kinver and Vale Head Farm - another Big Pathwatch walk

I was dreading this walk. It is a square I am walking for The Big Pathwatch (click here for details), so it should be fun, but my last experience,wading through wet, waist high vegetation put me off a bit.
Anyway, time to bite the bullet and survey the next square. It's near Kinver, South Staffs.
I started by the path which leads to the Lydiates (See map at the end)

First, to Vale Head Farm. Lately a riding school/livery yard, and now part of the Glasshouse Trust (Click to see more), offering opportunities for youngsters with special needs.
The path was not immediately apparent, and my heart sank.

But then I saw it, greener than the rest of the field.

I could just make it out: it heads to the telegraph pole.

And the comforting sign showed I was on track.

The next path was clearly visible

Looking back towards the Lydiates

The path isn't quite as on the map, but it is very clearly signposted.

I passed some inquisitive goats,...

...heavily laden apple trees in the orchard,...

...and plenty of free range chickens.

The path led through fields

Looking back

There's a clear view of the buildings where once we kept our ponies.

I liked the carved footpath signs.

They pointed into a wood, 

...and on to Kinsgford Lane. Although not marked on the map, the path carries on by the roadside - safer than my planned road walk.

I've lived in the area most of my life, but I'd never realised that the land on the "far" side of the road was also part of Kinver Edge!

The car park comes into view.

Crossing the road by the rather grand village sign,..

I walked down Rocky Wall

...as far as this sign to Britch Farm.

On the map, the path wiggles, but on the ground it is now straight, and easy to follow


Looking back to Britch Farm, with the Sheepwalks behind. This is one of the biggest fields I have ever seen


This part was just being harvested.

...while the other side is already ploughed for the next crop.



My route - marked out in blue. I've now walked all the paths on this square - and they are all clear and well-marked. Well done to the local farmers.

other Big Path Watch posts:

For mobile users: click here for the latest list of posts. For computer users, it's already visible at the side




No comments:

Post a Comment