Tuesday 13 October 2015

Sandwell Valley Country Park - two lakes walk

I was in Sandwell today - where to explore? I saw a patch of green on my map, right next to the motorway, and found this amazing place...

...Sandwell Valley Country Park. (A better map and other details is available by clicking here)


It didn't get off to a promising start - you have to pay the entrance fee if you want to use the cafe. At the risk of starving, I carried on without refreshments.

The Farm is probably quite good - it's just that I wanted to walk, not look at exhibits...


...though there was some farm machinery along the path

There are over 600 acres to explore, but not knowing it, I stuck to the main paths. I headed for Swan Pool

Autumn colours (motorway right behind them)

I have a real fascination for green spaces so close to built up areas and motorways,

I had to cross the M5 footbridge - just before it merges with the M6.


And only a few metres away, there's this splendid view: Swan Poool

...with actual swans

The Park is crossed by several cycle trails : you can hire bikes too 

I followed a path round Forge Mill lake - I liked the apple trees nearly

The  path was clear

Aeroplane high overhead

Someone had been learning survival skills 

 I came upon the Nature Centre,
with its charming sign. I could indeed see busy bees inside!


In the grounds, the remains of some beautiful wildflowers
 

...incuding cornflowers and vetch

The lakeside hide was closed (not my day really!)

But there was a good view of the marshy wetland over this interesting fence
  
I could see waders, as well as the more usual wildfowl.

Deeper water, still with a good variety of birds (the building is the Nature Centre)



The highlight of my day was here - those black birds are cormorants: there were at least 8. (Yes, I need a better zoom)

Looking back up Forge Mill Lake


Back to Swan Pool

And finally, back to my start at Sandwell Park Farm

And as I reached my car, I saw this sign - another nature reserve, and a ruined priory: something to investigate next time.
In summary: a great walk. Apart from actually crossing the motorway, you are well removed from the traffic, and in a lovely green space.
Today's walk: I parked by Sandwell Park Farm (plenty of free parking) and followed signs to Swan Pool, and then to the Forge Mill Lake, then the Nature Reserve. To continue around the lake, the walk is not signposted, but you can work it out. I carried on round the other side of Swan Pool on my return. The whole walk was 5 miles. Highly recommended.
PS I saw a walk from here to Barr Beacon, so I'll try that soon, as well as the Priory Woods one

Mobile users: Click to see my last blog - a Royal visit to Himley
If you are viewing this on a computer, the list of walks is at the side

No comments:

Post a Comment