Tuesday 22 March 2016

Coven to Gailey - a Staffs and Worcs canal walk

Keeping up my mileage, as part of my "#Walk 1000 Miles 2016" mission, I decided to walk this section of the lovely Staffs and Worcs Canal. Starting here, at Cross Green Bridge, Coven( WV10 7PW)

The day was a mixture of sunny and cloudy
 

In more sheltered places, the hawthorn was starting to come out - in that lovely lime-y green.

Canoes belonging to Laches Wood Outdoor Education Centre.

In the distance, I could see some industrial buildings. Because this canal was built by James Brindley and follows a winding route, it was almost an hour before I actually got there, though it's only a couple of fields away.

Moat House Bridge. The canal here uses part of an old moat, which carries on along the hedge bank.

I saw no-one at all on the towpath on today's walk.

...apart from some wildlife, of course. These ducks were just by Hatherton Junction.

Beyond the narrow boats, a beautiful willow-fringed pond

At Hatherton, the junction is with a canal which is now disused, but once linked into the Birmingham Canal network. I was hoping to get a closer look, but the path was barred.

Canalside woodland (this bit is private)

I cruised down this canal in 1985 - but I can't remember it really. I don't suppose it has changed much though.


Long Moll's Bridge - typical of many along this section

And, a mystery. There are regular plaques like this, saying they are part of Long Moll's Walk, but I can't find any other details. The signs indicate it was set up by British Waterways - but as to length, route, etc I have no idea.

Here's the Factory I saw an hour ago. 

I like this bridge at Calf Heath. It was rebuilt in 1989 but the brick is carefully chosen so it doesn't look too obviously modern.

The canal then passes a chemical works with this rather frightening sign. (I think they mean metres though)

Lovely redwood by the side of the factory

And then, I arrived at my destination, Gailey, with its brightly painted hire boats getting ready for the summer trade.

Lovely old canal building

The round house was originally for toll collection
 

Beautiful old brick


The tunnels under the A5 - for the canal(left) and people/horses(right).

As seen from the A5

The garage has a few seats inside, where I had a cup of coffee (ok, and some chocolate), before starting the return journey. Not the most romantic, but very welcome
I then walked back to my car: 10.9 miles altogether for the out and back trip, and a very pleasant walk indeed.

Today's walk: park at Cross Green Bridge (WV10 7PW) and just follow the Staffs and Worcs Canal until you reach Gailey - then turn and head back! Don't be put off by the chemical works: it was only a very small stretch - the rest was very rural. 10.9 miles easy walking

#walk 1000 miles is a scheme promoted by Country Walking magazine. Anyone can sign up to it: you count whatever you want - could be every single step you take, or like me, just the ones with boots on. I did an earlier blogpost about it  - click here to see it

No comments:

Post a Comment