Friday 7 February 2020

The Twilight Zone - West Midland style!

It was getting dark, but I still wanted to walk. Armed with headtorch and phone, I headed to Chance Wood, just outside Stourbridge 



Pictures were rather dark just using my phone, ...


... but my headtorch helped  


 There were plenty of snowdrops out ...


...and the paths were quite clear. 


Navigating was fairly easy, but exploring is part of the fun.


More and more snowdrops.


They are such lovely flowers.


At the far end of the wood, there are some gravestones. They are small, and commemorate hunting hounds from the nearby estate, back in the 19th Century


At one time, you could read the inscriptions, but I couldn't see any now. Mind you, it was dark!

Looking towards Kinver, there was still some light from the setting sun


 ... but to the east, the moon shone through the bare branches


I returned, past another patch of snowdrops


 ... and some daffodils which will flower soon.


Leaving the woods, I headed back from a fantastic mini expedition!

This walk was in Chance Wood, which belongs to the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust, but actually any woodland is great for a torchlit twilight walk  - or without torch if you are confident. Mine was only switched on for the photos, as the eyes soon adjust, and it's a real adventure. There were few sounds apart from the breeze in the trees, and some distant tawny owls hooting away, (I couldn't see any, though.) 
Why not try twilight walking for yourself? You won't regret it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lucy, could you tell me where the entrance is to Chance wood please. Thanks Carol

    ReplyDelete