Wednesday 15 July 2015

Netherton Tunnel - over the top, and back through

Sailing and musical commitments meant I haven't walked for two weeks. Then, free at last, it was raining. So where better than a walk which is half underground?
Arriving at Netherton's Bumble Hole Nature Reserve, on the Netherton Tunnel Branch of the BCN...

 ...I took a look at the southern portal of the Tunnel...
...then headed up the hill, past Cobb's Engine House, which once pumped water from Windmill End mine.

The hill is very steep. It climbs about 300 feet (but it felt like more!)

Looking back at the Engine House, which once served the 30 foot seam - the richest coal seam in Britain.

Near the top, this pool is one of many in the Nature Reserve

Crossing the road, and walking towards Warren Hill Farm, there is a fishing pool - being used despite the rain.
 There's a riding stables up here...

...and also a great view, which I couldn't see through the mist! It would be as far as Shropshire on a clear day.

Warrens Hall Stables
 More of the cute ponies,...

...plus an invisible view.

Along Oakham, Road, the boat nearly 900 feet above sea level, named "The Wetter the Better", which was pretty appropriate.

Beginning to descend again, these views are presumably of Sandwell, Cannock Chase and Birmingham (but I couldn't see them to confirm)

The FLY entrance to a local school (Stands for Foundation Years - the parents I asked didn't know what the L stood for). I was imagining something much weirder.

Further downhill, Tividale Park's fabulous outdoor keep fit station. Interesting that this side of the hill is a neat park, while the Dudley side is a wild nature reserve

I finally got to the canal. The bridge has the ungainly name of the Tividale Aqueduct Support Island

I followed these two boats (Jenny, and Mon Amour) through the tunnel

The Northern Portal - with Mon Amour just disappearing into the murky depths.
After years of disrepair, Netherton Tunnel was reopened in 1984

It's almost one and three quarters of a mile long.

I counted 7 ventilation shafts, with rain pouring through. But I kept quite dry on the towpath.

An oncoming boat passed me. I didn't get its name. The walk took me about 40 minutes, lit by the torch on my phone

In places, there are bolts sticking out of the side. Protective railings ensure you won't walk into them in the dark

Interesting number plaques too,

Amazing "stalactites"

Reflections at the far end. Unusually - possibly uniquely, there's a towpath on either side.

Emerging into the light. 

Looking over towards Toll End Bridge

Back at my starting point, Cobbs Engine House in the distance, and the brick built cafe (on the left) run by volunteers. 
This is a great, and historic walk. It's quite a climb, and I wouldn't recommend walking through the tunnel without a torch. I must do it again on a sunny day, when I can actually see the views!
Today's walk: starting at Bumble Hole visitors Centre., taking the hill, up past Cobbs Engine House, crossing the B4171, New Rowley Road. Then through Warrens hill, past the stables, and over the Oakham road into Regent Road, along the Birmingham New Road and through Tividale Park. Along Redwood Drive and left into a small road with access to the canal. Climb down the steps to the lower canal, and then back though Netherton Tunnel to your starting place. My walk was about 5.25 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment