Sunday 26 July 2015

Disastrous time while doing Big Path Watch

I have been walking paths as part of the Big Path Watch. (See previous blog by clicking here)
My first square was almost complete, apart from a very short section - two paths meeting up through fields. Yes, it was raining (heavily) but I've been cooped up all day, and I had my wellies on and a Goretex coat, so...
I went ahead. 
Parking on the road, I looked through the rain over towards Kinver Edge.

Here is the sign for the first path. Good so far.

The stile is a bit overgrown, but definitely there.

You can just about make out the path going towards the corner of the field through the oilseed rape. Technically passable (though that rape is about 5 feet tall in places, and really quite difficult to walk through).

Unfortunately, towards the top, the path petered out. I got to the corner by walking round the field edge (you can just make out the path in the middle of the picture - including where it stops.)

Under the trees the path carried on towards a stile. The rain got into my camera, and the picture of the stile didn't come out.

Then, real disaster. The path that should lead back down was missing altogether. Luckily I could follow this path instead - a bit further on.(Sadly, it's not on my surveying square).

The alternative path was a model of what a path  through crops should look like.

Even had its own well-maintained stile.

I walked along the road, to look at the other end of the missing path



Here's the view from the stile. NO PATH - apart from the first six feet!


The path should cross this field and end at the building on the skyline (the one on the right).

No, nothing - another picture, just to be sure.

By this time I was soaking - walking through the oilseed rape had meant that water went into my wellies as well. If the second path had been in place, I wouldn't have minded. 
Ah well, home to hot a bath, and then to report my findings. I'm really sad: I wanted all the paths to be there.
PS As I walked back to the car, my phone (in my extremely wet pocket) spontaneously started playing a sailing video. Quite a sense of humour for a Samsung....
Today's walk: by Pigeon House Farm. Because of the missing path, I walked over a mile - more than twice as much as expected. And I would not recommend the walk at all. You can see why I prefer to walk well-signposted Long Distance Paths. What do you do as a walker if you have planned a circular walk which includes these paths?
Below: the yellow square. You can see the two paths going to Pigeon House Farm


No comments:

Post a Comment