Sunday 10 January 2016

Some Old Houses and a King's Escape Route near Essington

Finally, after days of rain, the sun shone (well, between showers). I set off to Essington, NE of Wolverhampton.

The field path above led to this lovely pool. I read that most ponds round Essington date from old coal workings, but I wondered if this was actually a medieval fishpond, as it was near Manor Farm.


This old house is Pool Farm, again making me think the pool was older than the end of mining in the area


Next to it is Pool Cottage 


A bit early into my walk, but I called into Essington Fruit Farm's cafe for a snack! Great place: I recommend it!


Back on the road, the telecom mast was huge against the bright blue sky



I passed some more old buildings, loving the roof line of the stable.


In the next field, the remains of an old windmill. (With a couple of buzzards flying nearby)


Bognop Road. Such a strange name!


I soon arrived at Moseley Old Hall. In 1651 it was a hiding place for King Charles II, when he fled after the Battle of Worcester


It's closed for the winter, but I'll return when it's open.



The National Trust have replanted the old knot garden: it looks great. 



From the Old Hall, I followed the Monarch's Way, a long distance footpath which retraces King Charles's route. These are the gates to Moseley Hall (not to be confused with Moseley Old Hall)


The way passes through Northycote Country Park


Another rain shower on the way!


This is Northycote Farm (from the back). It is said to have refused to shelter King Charles II, but given it's only half a mile away from Moseley Old Hall, I can't think the fleeing King would have wanted a stop there!



It's an interesting-looking building anyway!


Hazel catkins  - an early sign of spring. Too early, maybe?


The Monarch's Way continued through the country park and on though nearby countryside


Curious horses watched my progress. 


 ...as did a buzzard - though he may have been more interested in other prey!



The way stretched on ahead as the sun began to lower in the sky



There was a great view over to the Black Country to my right



...and to my left, great empty fields. I do love to see sandy soil like that.


Back at the lake near the start of my walk, you can see it had been raining!


 The sun was dipping in the sky, as I walked though the final field of my walk, leaving the next bit of the Monarch's Way for another day.


The route was about 6 miles, full of interest. I would recommend it. Possibly better to take a whole day and visit the Old Hall on the way round.
If you're interested in the Monarch's Way, these are the signs to look out for.  



And these posts which occur at various places explain more. I am slowly walking the Monarch's Way, though I haven't reached this bit yet as part of the overall walk. You can follow my progress on this blog.


Today's walk: 6.5 miles. I parked on Blackhalve Lane, near the disused railway line, and followed the Monarch's Way to the road, and right to Essington Fruit Farm. I then followed the minor roads to Moseley Old Hall, and the Monarch's Way back to my starting point. 

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely brilliant
    Just what I was looking for not a better account of the journey thank you 😊

    ReplyDelete