Tuesday 28 June 2016

A Kinver walk, part 2 - the steep bit!

This walk takes you to St Peter's Church, Kinver, where the views are fantastic.
You can link it with the the previous walk - see here - but is also good as a stand-alone walk. Below: The Black Country far away on the skyline

From Kinver High Street into the Acre car park (near the Post Office) where the church looks down onto the cars...

...I took the path at the back which goes between gardens.

Quite a steep climb, but very quickly I was looking at roof tops

The steps helped a bit!

Nearing the top of the 160ft climb

...and the church suddenly comes into view

From the church yard, looking over to the Sheepwalks,...

...and over the village

The church is well-used and there are modern fittings in keeping with the ancient ones - like the door here

View west to the Clent Hills

I walked on past the church, turning left onto the lane

At this crossroads I turned right - away from Kinver.

Like many local roads, this one goes through a sandstone cutting.

After about 50 metres, I turned onto this path

...which went through this meadow: I think it's a special wildflower mix

Reaching the Staffs and Worcs canal, I noticed that the modern houses still make use of carved out rock for their sheds.

I love this cottage and its garden, at Whitting Horse Bridge

I turned left down the canal,

A lovely spot

Houses perch on the cliffside

As I reached Kinver, there were more boats waiting at the lock
From here, you can continue as I did down to the Stewponey, if that's where you started - or turn left along High Street and back to the start of this walk.
To look at the other half (well, two thirds) of this walk, click here.
Today's walk : about 2.5 miles. Start at the Acre Car Park, and take the steeply rising path to the church. Left onto the road, and right at the cross roads for about 50 m. Then follow the clear field path which turns into an unmetalled road to Whitting Horse Bridge. Then left along the canal to Kinver Lock -. Turn left again and follow the High street to your starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment