Sunday 12 June 2016

Along the (disused) Grantham Canal - in the rain!

A walk along part of the disused Grantham Canal. I could have stayed in the car, as it was raining (and thundering). I'm glad I walked though

I started at Cotgrave Country Park, where the canal still has stretches of water...

...and plenty of lush greenery

The locks here have been restored

... but as you can see, the canal is very overgrown and completely unnavigable ahead.

The towpath is very well maintained (it's part of the cycle network) and would be very suitable for wheelchair users

I liked the mileage markers - 5 miles away from Nottingham here. And 28 miles away from Grantham, at the other end.

Very misty and rainy, but the canal looks well-kept just here

This is one of the problems facing the Grantham Canal Society, who are working for restoration. The old humpback canal bridges have been flattened, with concrete culverts now taking the water through. No room for boats, so all the bridges would need rebuilding!

Away from Cotgrave Park, the locks are in a much worse state

Overgrown lock sign 
The towpath narrows, but it is still well maintained: the canal (left) is very overgrown here

Distant hills through the murk!

Though the canal bed is overgrown, there are plenty of plants and wildlife. 
 I think this is the year of the cowparsley!

Another flattened bridge over the canal - this time complete with a rather over the top pedestrian crossing

The society's sign is rather worn now.

Beautiful yellow flags


 Some of the locks still have their original numbers.

Teasels


Looking back towards the thunderstorm, you can see a newly built section of the A46 with the traffic sending out spray.



Here the canal bed is clearly visible (the sign is a gantry on the A46).

It's great to see that the new section of road has been raised high enough to take a canal boat underneath: restoration would be impossible if it hadn't. The new bridge is number 18a


Under the bridge, the clay puddling is very clearly visible. All canals are lined (puddled) with clay to stop the water leaking out and just sinking into the ground.

Under the old bridge, number 18.

At this point, I turned back home, taking a slight detour on the way back past a fishing pond complete with fluorescent scarecrows. Didn't scare away the rain though!
Although I was soaked through when I returned to the car, I was so glad I walked along this beautiful canal .I left feeling awed by the huge task facing the Grantham Canal Society but full of hope that they will one day succeed. I also made a small donation to their website: you could do the same, here.

Today's route: I parked at Cotgrave Country Park, just off the A52 near Radcliffe on Trent, and then walked East towards Cropwell Bishop, turning round as I reached the A46. About 5.5 miles. I wanted to keep going but the rain dictated otherwise! recommended walking. As far as I can tell, it seems the whole canal provides suitable walking

No comments:

Post a Comment