Thursday 7 May 2015

Bunker's Hill Wood - and my guilty secret

To Bunker's Hill Wood, near Stourbridge, on a hunt for a nice bluebell walk.
A promising start, with thousands of bright dandelions.

Good views from the edge of the wood.
 Underfoot, pine cones and leaf litter

But then I saw these. Rhododendrons. Lots of them. They are an invasive species, and rather frowned on by naturalists. But I love them.

I know I shouldn't love them, but it's my guilty secret!

So far, lots of greenery - beautiful fresh new green leaves.
 Wonderful textures

And then, suddenly, there they are - the bluebells. You have to walk around a bit to see them: they aren't everywhere....

...but worth it when you find them.

Wonderful tree shapes

Forget me nots

The old sign for the wood (there's a brand new one at the entrance, but I like this one).

It's been a good year for gorse

Glowering skies heralded my return to the car.

A meeting of dog walkers! 




Trees by the lay by where I parked.

Today's walk: at Bunker's Hill Woods, on Whittington Hall Lane, just outside Stourbridge. There's a small car park, and a lay by. There are lots of paths, including one which goes right round the edge, but the smaller ones are more
interesting. It's about 2 miles right round the woods, but you can choose how far to go. 

Click here to go back to the menu (for phones)






No comments:

Post a Comment