Tuesday 12 May 2015

Canal walking in May. Walk 1: Wombourne - part 2 Bratch and beyond

Continuing my walk , I reached the unusual octagonal toll house at Bratch Locks.




The people here are part of a group of Swedish people who have hired three boats to explore some of Britain's canal system.

Bratch Locks are different because one lock leads straight into the next with only a tiny pound between them, so there's a need for clear instructions.

Looking over from the lock, you can just see the chateau-style waterworks building through the trees

Looking down into the locks



Moving to the next set of paddles.

The canal drops 30 feet over these locks - very steep, as the photo shows

Turbulent water indicates a boat will soon be coming through.

Walking to the next lock.

The lock-side overflow
I love the lock name - Bumblehole (not to be confused with Bumble Hole which is on the Dudley no 2 canal, near Netherton Tunnel)

Below the lock.


At the next bridge was the Round Oak pub

I guess it was built at the same time as the canal

I then turned along the road for a short way, admiring the Best Kept Village posters outside Westfield Primary School


Just after the school, I regained the South Staffs Railway walk

...which I followed, to rejoin my car.
   
Today's walk: The actual walk I did was described yesterday (click here). But a better walk would be: park at the Station Cafe, follow the railway walk, turn off at flash Lane, to join the canal at Awbridge Bridge. Turn left, follow as far as the Round Oak pub, then along the road, past Westfield Primary School, and then turn left back onto the Railway walk, and follow it back to your car. About 4 miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment