Sunday 29 November 2015

I cannot recommend this walk at all!

A four mile walk in glorious countryside, with the stormy November skies enabling me to take pictures like this. Why wouldn't I recommend it? Well, read on and see. 


Starting at Blakeshall Lane Car Park, at Kingsford Country Park (next to the more famous Kinver Edge)


I followed the (well-signed) North Worcestershire Path  (NWP)


...past these lovely logs.

Onto Kingsford Lane very briefly

...before turning off onto a bridle path (still part of the NWP) with views of the Clent Hills on the distant horizon.

The nearer views were quite good,..

But the path was very muddy.

It got even muddier. This was ankle deep - and it wasn't possible to walk on the sides. Half an hour's walking, and I hadn't managed a mile.

My interest was briefly taken by the old Sladd Barn



By the time I reached Cookley Lane, you could barely tell that my boots are actually red.

The lane gave my boots a chance to dry a bit

Turning off the road, I admired this lichen

The path was drier, and I increased my speed. 

It looked like there was rain on the way

I passed some nice barn conversions (There are many in Caunsall)

I particularly liked the path nearby! Well tended and dry!

The Anchor Inn was busy (Friday lunchtime) but I hurried on.

Victorian post box in the wall of another barn

Perhaps the most surprising thing about this walk: the Fire Assembly Point sign. In the countryside! There were some barns opposite, so it must be for them

Along Kinver Lane, the skies darkened further

Horses need to be cared for, whatever the weather.


Back along Cookley Lane for a while

...and then turning onto Gipsy Lane. More distant hills - the Abberley Hills this time.

Finally the wooded Kingsford Park came into view

And I got back to my car.
A four mile walk, which I cannot recommend because of the deep mud which takes much of the pleasure from walking. In fact, the first mile made me very grumpy but I was cheerful by the time I got back to the car, three miles further on. Walking definitely increased my endorphins, but I still don't recommend this walk in case it doesn't do the same for you!

Today's walk: Start at Blakeshall Lane Car Park, and follow the North Worcs Path signs to Caunsall [If you insist on doing the walk, you can detour round Gipsy Lane rather than use the bridle path section - it's about the same distance. From Caunsall, return by the Lanes  - first Kinver Lane, then Cookley and finally Gipsy - to get back to the car park. 4 miles in total - but quite a lot of effort . Some ups and downs. Plus MUD.

No comments:

Post a Comment