Saturday 7 November 2015

We will remember them

Last year I posted pictures  of War Memorials I'd seen on my West Midland Walks.
This year, I've included some of the ones I've seen in London
This one is dedicated to the Special Operations Executive - it's by the Thames, not far from Westminster, and the bust is of Violette Szabo, an extraordinarily brave secret agent

A close up of the inscription: "their names are carved with Pride". The memorial was only unveiled in 2009

The Battle of Britain Monument, unveiled in 2005, on the 65th anniversary of the battle

It is on Victoria Embankment, by the Thames

The RAF memorial, with "Ad astra " visible on this side, also on the Victoria Embankment

From the front


The inscription


The Cenotaph, focus of our national celebration of remembrance, on the Sunday nearest November 11th





The Memorial to the women of  World War II
 
Horseguards Parade. A field gun is fired here to mark the start and end of the two minute silence on Remembrance Sunday, followed by the Last Post.


 Not a memorial, but I was interested to see that Cleopatra's Needle, and the nearby sphinxes were damaged in the First World War by a bomb dropped  in 1917.

Some boys were examining the damage when I was there

But my favourite memorial of all is in Brierley Hill in the West Midlands. Poppies with a view all the way to Shropshire's Clee Hills behind them, and the scene of wonderful sunsets 
 At the going down of the sun...
We will remember them

This is found on war memorials all over the country, but I still find it moving

Click here to see more of my walks, mostly in the Black Country/West Midlands.



No comments:

Post a Comment