Thursday 11 June 2015

Dudley trail - Colley Gate to Pedmore

Continuing my walk along the 26 mile Dudley trail, I turned down Toys Lane. What a view from these houses!


The Two Gates Ragged School Independent Methodist Church (Long name - not much room on the notepaper after that!!!). There's a Wartime Singalong there soon, if you're interested.


The little Ragged Chapel itself

Here was a strange name for a street. Whynot?

All was revealed: it was named after a Grand National Winner from 1894

From there, it was along Foxcote Lane. Great views over towards the Clent Hills

Who would believe this was taken in a Metropolitan Borough?

The field was being mowed - for hay, I think. It's being left to dry before baling.

The path goes through beautiful flower meadows

Looking over towards Woodbury Hill. (You can only see the Obelisk in the winter: it's on the saddle of the hill - behind the leafy trees)

The meadows continue

Reaching Pedmore Lane, the views are again fantastic. This is over to Brierley Hill

The verges were full of bloom

A remnant of the Dudley Trail day, which took place in early May

It points over this unofficial bridge

The path leads up towards the Obelisk (but doesn't pass it).

...the views are extensive

The Wrekin, Shropshire, on the skyline

The Clee Hills in the distance (Titterstone Clee on the left, Brown Clee on the right)

 Descending towards Pedmore  

I wondered what these building were - they look like an old factory.

Down into Pedmore - the lych gate at St Peter's Church

It dates from the 12th century but has been much restored

Old yew trees in the church yard
Well, that's the end of the first section of the 26 mile route. I'll explore the next section soon. Keep watching out!
Today's route: part of the 26 mile Dudley Trail; I started at Dudley yesterday. To walk from the start of the Trail to here is 8.5 miles. I made use of a lift in a car, but it could be done by bus. The route is only published during the day of the Trail: it is not an established full time route. Though I think it should be. I might start a campaign! If you contact me by email (address in the yellow box), I can send you my summary of the route.

You can see the other routes on these links:
Click here for the 9 mile route (this one is really flat, and hardly goes on roads at all)

No comments:

Post a Comment