Saturday 20 June 2015

Smethwick canal walk - Part 2

Continuing my walk on the BCN Old Main Line Canal, I passed the Engine Arm aqueduct, which brings water from Edgbaston reservoir

The last lock before Smethwick Junction

The Navigation Inn. I think it's closed, but couldn't see for certain.
 These noticeboards stress the interesting history of the area

Pope Bridge

Evidence of old industrial  use

Smethwick Junction. I turned along the Main Line here, heading back towards Dudley and Wolverhampton.

Close-up of the bridge



The Main Line Canal, being more modern than the Old Main Line, is much straighter, and a lot of it is in a cutting

The flower-filled banks are beautiful, though.

The heron reappears on the bridge.

The Engine Arm Aqueduct from below.

Approaching the Pumping Station.

This was once an overflow from one canal level to the other.

From under Galton Bridge, looking at Smethwick Railway Bridge.

M5 motorway ahead, and some old warehouses

My favourite picture of the walk. The Old Main Line aqueduct, over the (new) Main Line. Intercity train flashing by, and the M5 overhead.



Unlike the Old Line, with its half mile under the M5, the new Main just goes straight underneath. Shame about the graffiti though.

DPD parcel depot: they brought me a parcel this morning - I could have saved them the trouble.



Looking back at the motorway, I finished the last half mile to my car. What a fantastically interesting route. Everyone should do it at some point.
If you missed Part 1 of the walk, click here to see it

Today's walk: Parking near Dudley and Sandwell Railway Station, I walked along the canal in the Birmingham direction. After 1/2 mile, there was a junction: I took the right, and followed the old Main Line Canal for about 2.5 miles, until Smethwick Junction, returning along the (New) Main Line. The walk was 6.3 miles. The two canals are very close together for the whole route, and it's easy to shorten the route. Or walk it the other way round. However, I think the Old Line is more interesting (despite the section under the motorway) so I recommend walking that bit first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment