Tuesday 9 June 2015

Dudley Trail - the main trail

Every May, people from from all over Dudley walk one of the Dudley Trails. I walked some of them just recently (links at the bottom of the page)
But this is the biggest and best of the lot: the 26 mile trail, where it all started. 

Just over one mile in, and here's the beautiful view towards Park Head locks.


You get there from the rather  - let's face it -ugly Dudley by pass.

100 metres, then down these steps and the glory of the walk begins

Dudley Tunnel entrance: you may have seen the other end (it emerges into the Black Country Museum) but have you seen this end?



I followed the canal under the Park Head Viaduct,

...then past some workers who were mowing (and sending the canal green with clippings!)

This bridge is getting rather worn on top.


The canal is teeming with wildlife - flowers, birds and insects.

I turned off towards Lodge Farm reservoir

...with good views towards the Clent Hills
In Saltwells I looked at the hole which was Doulton's Claypit. Much of the clay went by canal to Stoke on Trent where it was made into sinks and toilets.

It's now a lovely Nature Reserve.

I emerged by these old houses at Mushroom Green.
Crossing the road, I was then in Saltwells Nature Reserve. (Not to be confused with Saltwells Wood, although I was)


There's more lovely scenery here

I came out by the Waggon and Horses

Following the road upwards, I passed Park Lane Chapel.

And then the Park Lane Tavern.
And that's the first section of the walk. More tomorrow!

If you want to see some of the other walks:
Click here for the six mile walk 
Click here for the nine mile walk
Click here for the 12 mile walk

Today's walk: Part of the 26 mile route of the Dudley Trail. I was lucky to have lifts at both ends, so I walked from the start to Pedmore. Around 8 miles of fascinating walking. You could get a bus back to Dudley from here. If you are interested in walking the route - contact me (email below and I will send you a route)











No comments:

Post a Comment