Sunday 25 January 2015

Bunkers Hill Wood

I have been listening to a serialisation of the Nature Diaries of Brett Westwood  (details)

He lives right by where I live, and there were 5 talks about places no more than a couple of miles form my house. One of the was Bunkers Hill Wood

So I thought I'd better visit.

There's an easy path right round the edge of the woods, (though there's a big climb at one point)

In this tree I watched a pied woodpecker headbutting (beak-butting) a branch (not drilling, which was what I expected). I assume he must have some kind of shock absorbers in his brain, as he was hitting it really hard

Gorse

Cows by Turbine Cottage



I left by this path at the far end of the woods. This is looking back on my route

It's pretty hilly round here. More than I'd ever noticed when driving!

Following the path over towards Sugar Loaf Lane, I met this friendly pony. 






Lovely farm buildings on Sugar Loaf Lane (and a less nice breeze block one) 



Looking over towards Clent


Wagons loaded up and ready to go

Passing Stourbridge Lawn Tennis Club: no-one was playing

The path by the side of the club leads back to Bunkers Hill Wood

The sun was setting as I returned

The Abberley Hills framed by the Pylons!
The woods are full of bluebells in the spring,apparently. Meanwhile, you can listen to Brett Westwood talking about these woods (Here). The episodes are available for a year, and only 15 mins long. Even if you don't particularly like nature programmes, it's good to hear about something so local. Give them a try!


Because this was a dull day, the photos don't really do the place justice. I'll go back on a better day, when the bluebells are out perhaps.






No comments:

Post a Comment