Friday 30 January 2015

Sunshine, Storms and Snow on Kinver Edge

Out for a Friday walk. At the Meddings Lane car park, it was cold and there was still snow

I thought I'd look at the Rock Houses. They were undergoing some repairs/improvements.

One of the work men paused to explain.

The lower houses...
 ...open as a cafe from the end of March

Painted sandstone and brick

Next, I took the steep path to the summit.


Nearly there.

The wide open space at the top, ...



...with its windswept views, towards Kinver down below. 


The snow clearly shows the earthworks which are the boundary bank from the Iron Age hillforrt

And just when I was enjoying the views, the weather turned.


Lovely view from one of the memorial benches up here

More ideas for further walks. I'm halfway through the 93 mile Staffordshire Way, but I can still investigate the North Worcestershire Path

I can never resist the view from Nanny's Rock even when the weather is deteriorating.

Descending by the red path, a farmer's landrover appeared. Fence mending, I imagine.

Ice on the gorse bushes

Down by the Warden's House, the sun came out again

Lovely for dog-walking

Back at the summit, I descended by the "Orange route".

This gives a good view of the Rock Houses site, showing the three gables from the upper houses. Still rock houses even with the brickwork frontages.
I got back to the car just before the  next wintry shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment