Saturday 10 January 2015

Kinver walks - Greensforge Lane

I saw a copy of an old walk booklet from Kinver Light Railway, and thought I'd try out their suggested walks to see what they are like nowadays.

Walk 4 is from the old Stewponey pub (now demolished), along Greensforge Lane, returning by the Canal. The booklet optimistically calls this 4 miles. My GPS clocked it at 6.09 miles! 

Starting down Greensforge Lane 

There are views across to Stourbridge and Clent

It's quite a horsy area these days


The "old time English homesteads" are still there

Including this cave/storage area.


This is Stourton Farm 

Some of the farm buildings are now converted into homes

Between the trees, you can just make out the Waterworks building - one of many in this area

Two of the four Waterworks cottages. Presumably originally for employees

 I always think this is like railway architecture

Here''s some of the "rustic scenery". I'd never really noticed how nice the tree planting was until I walked this lane (I've driven it hundreds of time but more things are visible on foot)

Keeping the horse fields clean: these people are muck-picking

The rustic scenery continues 

Wire fencing excluded, this probably looks the same as it did when the walk was described

(Not sure about the overhead electricity cables thiough)
 I guess it wasn't as well surfaced 80 years ago

Smestow Brook through the trees
 The turning off to Checkhill

View from the bridge 
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment