Sunday 4 January 2015

Merry Hill walk part 2

Continuing my walk along the Dudley No 1 Canal (old line), ...


...I could see Netherton Church away to my left

 I soon reached this bridge, and the first of four locks

This industrial building, now the home of Dudley Canal trust, sat by a canal junction.
...I could either cross the canal and head towards Netherton, past the reservoir visited a few weeks ago, ...

...or, as I did this time, head towards Dudley. 

There's a poster in the window of Canal Cottage about a local boat which has been used in TV's "Peaky Blinders" 

Canal Cottage and its sign


At one point, it looks as if the locks were so busy that there was a double set to save queuing

From here, it's a few hundred metres to the start of the Dudley Canal Tunnel, the other end of which emerges into the  Black Country Museum.

Retracing my steps.

Under this bridge was the Waterfront again

...now beginning to be lit up
And the sun was just setting as I reached the start/end of my walk.
Walk details.
Parking in the Merry Hill Centre, and taking the steps up to the canal. Turn right and just keep walking. This walk was 40 mins each way (bear in mind I stop to take pictures - you may be quicker). I turned round at the top lock of the Parkhead Flight. Total journey distance 3.43 miles, which took me roughly 1hr 20 mins. A recommended walk - good surface on the towpath. And you can walk off Christmas excesses to boot!


No comments:

Post a Comment