Friday 6 March 2015

Kinver Edge and some rocky dwellings

I do a lot of walking along Kinver Edge, but I was quite taken with one of the walks from the old Kinver Tram Walks Booklet, which suggested walking along the bottom of the Edge, then returning along the top. 

So here goes...
Starting from Kinver's centre,...

...I headed up Stone Lane, passing this. Not a rock house, but a little carved out cave,...e.


...which is opposite these houses.

Then, the well known Holy Austin rock houses.

My walk along the bottom of the Edge  took me through some very wooded country. Lots of silver birches

The sun shining over the top of the Edge, about 200 feet above me.

Arriving at Nanny's Rock, ...

...a rock dwelling with five rooms

Everything is gradually eroding

When I came to Kinver, Holy Austin Rock was like this - nearly worn away, with lots of old graffiti. (It's now restored)

Window view

The sandy path outside demonstrates the crumbliness of sandstone.


Front view 

And on to my next task - to find Vales Rock - a more tricky proposition, since it's even more hidden
More of this fascinating walk tomorrow.

The old tram booklet. The actual route is quite difficult to follow now - there are more trees to obscure the views (a bit of a problem deciding where you are), and the paths on the ground are not the same as on the the map.  It's a case of follow your nose. And I have no idea about the monument to Richard Foley. Must be long gone







No comments:

Post a Comment