Tuesday 3 March 2015

Wordsley part two. The old Stuart Crystal site and more

Continuing up the towpath, away from the glass cone...

...I took a closer look at this bridge. It's called a split bridge -  for obvious reasons.


The idea is that the horse's towrope can just slide right through the split rather than be tied and untied to get under the bridge

The locks continue. On the left is The Dock - I'm not sure if it's still a pub or just a Hansons  off-licence. This was early morning, so it was difficult to check!



My walk took me as far as this - just before the Samson and Lion pub.

Coming back, the boat remained in its sunken state

I walked over the bridge to take a better look at the glass cone. I hadn't noticed this sign before. The flight raises the canal an impressive 145 feet, so that's why all of the locks look so deep

The Red House Cone is now a tourist attraction,...

...with a factory shop

...and exhibitions. I love the glassblowers on these windows

I tried the cafe. Excellent.

A local artist has decorated part of the cone.
It's called Wisteria, apparently.

Back past the old Stuart Crystal glassworks site

This is the junction with the Stourbridge arm, which heads to the Bonded Warehouse

On the signpost I noticed some thing familiar. It's a sign for the Monarch's Way. Without realising it, I was doing part of this 630-mile long distance path. [Shows what happens if you don't look at a map first!] That means I'll be back soon as I'm due to do this section over the Easter holiday

The aqueduct over the River Stour.

Fast flowing water.

This group of walkers were part of the Healthy Walking group which meets at 9.30 on Mondays at Mary Stevens Park

They looked to be enjoying themselves, even though the weather was starting to get worse

A peek through the bars at Ashwood Park Primary School. What a great setting for a school!
Today's walk: from the park near Ashwood Park Primary School (not sure of its name) just hit the canal and keep walking. Return by the same route. Distance - whatever you want it to be!





No comments:

Post a Comment