Saturday 22 November 2014

Staffordshire Way - Abbots Bromley to Uttoxeter

As well as walking locally in the Black Country, I also like long distance paths.
At the moment I'm following the Staffordshire Way, finding out out about my adopted county.
Hope you enjoy reading about it!

Well, here's Abbots Bromley. Last time I was here, the landlady of this pub (the Goat's Head) lit a fire because I arrived soaking wet.!

Nice shop opposite

A closer view of the Buttercross



Another pub, the Crown. I didn't try that one.

I liked this old house with its uneven roof line


Abbots Bromley is noted for its Horn Dance. The local surgery have added a stethoscope to the village's badge


And the walk begins.

 The forecast sunshine tried very hard to burn off the early morning mist, but it didn't succeed all day. Looking back across misty fields towards Abbots Bromley 

 After a good while through fields, I reached the Bagot Estate, agribusiness on a massive scale. This field is hundreds of acres in size, and there are plantations as part of the estate's pheasant shoot.

There were some huge earthworks going on


It looked like excavations for a large fishpond
More of this walk tomorrow

Walk details. I parked in Abbots Bromley, and walked to Uttoxeter, a distance of about 7 miles, with a further mile to the bus station to catch the 302/3 bus back. The bus whose timetable I had downloaded last week no longer runs! This is a good walk, but not a great one. Needed to be done as part of the Staffs Way though


No comments:

Post a Comment