Wednesday 12 November 2014

Staffordshire Way: Rugeley to Abbots Bromley

Wet, wet, wet!
It's not a good idea to ignore weather forecasts, but I set off on this section of the route knowing that heavy rain was forecast. In my defence, I thought it was over. It wasn't...

Starting from Rugeley I soon reached the little church at Colton

Part of its Remembrance Day commemoration

A carving shining in the rain. (not a gargoyle: they are waterspouts)


The river was totally overgrown by this bright green weed.

 Beautiful Autumn colours

The area is threatened by the proposed HS2 route

Village pond at Stockwell Heath

The Staffs Way sign was somewhat hidden in the hedgerow


Looking back along the path - it wasn't actually raining at this point.

I took a picture of these interesting clouds

Looking over to Blithfield reservoir

 The clouds grew thicker 
 And then the heavens opened. I couldn't take any more pictures, as it was severe rain! I felt as if my face was being exfoliated by the rain and wind - it could well have been sleet

My map pretty much disintegrated although it looks better now it's dry again.

I reached Abbots Bromley, and sat in the the Goats Head  drinking hot coffee: the landlady took pity on me and lit a fire.
Still, it's the next bit of the Staffs Way done. And my coat kept me completely dry. (Not my trousers though) Reviews to follow.

Walk details: from Rugeley to Colton following the Staffordshire Way. I was planning to walk back, as it was a shortish section. But I got a taxi instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment