Saturday 8 November 2014

We will remember them...

I came across this lovely sight on Friday: the village of Colton, near Rugeley, getting ready for Remembrance Day.


So, I thought I'd have a look at some of my local memorials.
This one is on Kinver Edge. A beautiful spot

Many of those family names still live on in Kinver


This is Enville's war memorial - on the main road, so everyone who passes sees it 
 I wonder if they debated this like the proposed one in Downton Abbey? Out of the way, or in the public eye?

This poster advertises Wombourne's activities on Armistice Day 

Here's the memorial,...


...right by the church.

In Lower Gornal, the memorial is simple, and forms part of the Memorial Hall

In Dudley, the Council have planted a poppy flower bed


Here's the memorial, in the council's gardens



You can see Dudley Castle on the hill nearby

This was a wreath commemorating someone who died in the Arctic Convoys

My favourite is this one. Technically, it's a sculpture of the a rose - the Briar Rose - but people generally look on it as a war memorial 

As I photographed it, an elderly Sikh gentleman showed me this wreath which he would be planting tomorrow. He reminded me that people from all over the Commonwealth died in the wars.

As I watched, the sunset got more dramatic 
You can see the distant Shropshire hills (the Clees) on this one
 At the going down of the sun...
..we will remember them
 


This was on the Dudley memorial.



No comments:

Post a Comment