Monday 23 February 2015

A Kinver Walk, part 1 - up to the church

A while ago, someone published an old walking guide for people coming to Kinver by tram. I said I'd try and walk some of the routes (see below)

Starting from the Acre Car park, I took the very steep path straight up the hill (this is looking back to the High Street)

Almost instantly, you can look down at the village


The steep path has some mossy steps  


Nearly at the top

The church comes into view, high above.

Arriving at the churchyard - even the signpost has to lie down for a rest.

The church

The views are now fantastic - the wooded Kinver edge on the left, and the open fields of the Sheepwalks to the right, with the village in the foreground

Sweeping round. The bright red vehicles are in the Acre Car park, where I started.



 The WW2 Memorial with its Union Flag

The side of the church

I always like little doorways 


How sandstone weathers - some has been replaced.

Looking towards Stourbridge (not visible)


The West Midlands on the horizon
 Just walking to here - a quarter of a mile - took me 15 minutes, because of the steepness, plus I took a lot of photos. I usually walk a mile in about 22 minutes!

Leaving the church







To be continued...


Here's the original leaflet: As you can see, I did the walk backwards. And I started from the Acre car park, as the tram terminus no longer exists

 the next page

Today's walk. Part of a circular walk of 2.5 miles - from the Acre car park in the centre of Kinver, up the path to the church, across to the Whittington Inn, and back via the canal and Gibraltar. Although it's a short walk, it is quite strenuous, and not to be underestimated.


No comments:

Post a Comment