Sunday 8 February 2015

Caunsall to Cookley

Continuing my walk along the canal, I left Caunsall behind.

This bridge is a bit of a mystery - I couldn't see Clay House anywhere, and the bridge doesn't carry a road, so I'm not sure where it goes! (I looked it up later, to find it has Grade II listed status)



These ducks were having fun on the iced up canal
I was fairly certain that this was a raven, as it looked much bigger than a crow to me - about the size of a buzzard, I'd say.

I loved the boat name!


Approaching Cookley Tunnel - you can see that the houses are built right over it.

The steps in this garden help to show how steep it is.

The tunnel is carved through the sandstone, not brick-built like most tunnels

Coming out of the tunnel


This is Titan Steel Wheels, UK Ltd. It has its origins in 1650 when there was a forge established here - before the canal was built, obviously. The River Stour was being used for power, and to transport the goods.

Just round the corner is Debdale Lock. The walls are angled to allow the lock-keeper to see boats approaching round the sharp bend.



View over to the steel works

Debdale Lock is even rockier than Rocky Lock further along this section: the sandstone is practically overhanging 



The lockhouse from the other side - same angled window here too.
Walk to be continued.... Next time, Cookley itself.

Today's walk: From Whittington Horse Bridge, I followed the Staffs and Worcs canal through Caunsall, to Cookley, stopping at Debdale lock, to return by roughly the same route, but visiting Cookley on the way back. I walked 5.4 miles. But it's very easy walking. Even with my food and photgraph stops it was only two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment