Monday 9 February 2015

Along the Staffs/Worcs canal - Cookley back to Kinver

I had walked just through Cookley to Debdale Lock on a frosty day. You can just see Cookley church on this picture, across the frozen Staffs/Worcs canal

Back at the tunnel, I climbed up to investigate Cookley. This is the florist's shop, which is directly above the tunnel entrance

Cookley Post Office had a fine selection of cakes -  I had to try one, purely in the interests of research, obviously. Very good.

The Bulls Head pub
Back on the canal, Clay House bridge again


Dramatic skies threatened rain (but none came)

It is just so peaceful here - and (from the absence of footprints)very little walked compared to the bits nearer Kinver.

Wow, that cut wood is very orange. I think it's alder?

Caunsall Bridge has been much repaired over the years, judging by the mishmash of styles, colours and building materials. It must have had much rougher treatment over the years than Clay House bridge!

The view from Whittington Horse Bridge, which was the start/finish of my walk

Looking the other way, and the canal is starting to thaw
Today's walk: From Whittington Horse Bridge, I followed the Staffs and Worcs canal through Caunsall, to Cookley, stopping at Debdale lock, to return by roughly the same route, but visiting Cookley on the way back. I walked 5.4 miles. But it's very easy walking. Even with my food and photgraph stops it was only two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment