Thursday 5 February 2015

Stafford - a walk round my county town - part 2

I continued my walk around Stafford. By the river were the remains of the Town Mill. This board said there was a mill in Stafford since at least 1164. Ancient indeed.



Part of a mill wheel 

Further along the River Sow was this - presumably an old windmill

This is St Chad's church. Arches like this are usually Norman. And so was this, but it has been massively restored in the 19th century and I don't think there can be much of the original stonework left.


This is the Post House - now a bistro...

...but once slept in by playwright and local MP Richard Brinsley Sheridan ("The Rivals")



Some more council buildings. Stafford is full of them!

I particularly liked the Staffordshire knot which was in all the leadwork


Inside the Town Hall, there was a mock up of a County Court

The models were made of cardboard as you can see from this close up.

More from the main street

Just off the street were these splendid Almshouses

Close-up of the stonework


A narrow back street
I enjoyed my walk around the town. But back to walking in the country tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment