Friday 27 February 2015

Arley - a lovely 4 mile walk

The sun came out in the late afternoon, so I rushed over to Arley to try this walk. I was glad I did: it's lovely.
Starting at the car park by the river, I followed the Severn downstream

The notice board, outlines some of the local history of the area

And next to it is this encouraging sign referring to my walk, the Upper Arley Circular Walk.  All I had to do was follow the signs with the the blue ferryman symbol. 

The river sparkled as I set off

Much of the early path was through the trees of Eymore Wood - and some parts were a bit muddy. But I think, best to go now before the leaves hide some of the glorious views

Victoria Bridge, built in 1861 to carry the railway.

Both banks are very hilly and scenic

Looking back at the bridge 

The banks of Trimpley Reservoir reminded me of the early Windows screensaver

The walk skirts the reservoir, and it is not actually visible for a while

Over the river, a very isolated (and very pink) house

Looking back - the grass is almost luminously green

Reaching the signpost where the path leaves the river 

Leaving this scene behind - the Severn Way carries on along the river  ... obviously!

After a short steep climb, I reached Trimpley Reservoir...

...with more lovely views
To be continued... (click here for part two)

Today's walk: this is the first part of the 4 mile Upper Arley Circular Walk. It really is well signposted - I didn't use my map at all. There are a few steep (but mercifully short) climbs, and there was quite a lot of mud early on. But the views are fantastic. One to try: give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment