Tuesday 3 February 2015

Stafford - a walk around my county town. Part 1

I'm ashamed to say I'd never visited Stafford before - even though it's my county town.

There are some lovely buildings: this one is in the Market Square

This is the Town Hall. I love the way they have "woven" the railings outside

So, Stafford  has been a market town since 1206

More weaving.

Inside, there various art displays. This was part of one done by children at a nearby primary school, showing photos they had taken on a trip to Cannock Chase

The main street

The Tudor building now used as shops below, and a Museum above

A closer look

These overhanging floors are known as jetties. Jettying died out by 1600, so this building is older than that

A narrow passage down the side had a great sweet shop!

And then it led to these  buildings ...

...and the main church, St Mary's.

These steps are familiar. They are at Stafford Crown Court. I'm used to seeing TV coverage of various court cases as the accused emerge onto these steps!


A gate led to Victoria Park

It's by the River Sow.

This is Stafford-born Izaak Walton, who wrote the Compleat Angler, published 1653.

I think this family rather regretted feeding the ducks when they were mobbed by these seagulls!
More tomorrow - Stafford was more interesting than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment