Saturday 13 December 2014

A fantastic Goretex jacket

So, yesterday's equipment review was of basic base layers at a very reasonable price.

Today, we're looking at the other end of the scale - my Ladies Musto Whisper jacket
This is a top of the range Goretex jacket. As waterproof as you can get.
(The colour's a bit weird on these pictures, but it is available in moss green or chocolate)

It's an all purpose country jacket in a Goretex that is soft and feels a lot like brushed suede.  Apparently it's very quiet, which is important for shooting, but not particularly needed for walking!


The pockets are nice and big: This one's got my woolly hat, gloves and tissues in.


There's a "secret" zip pocket located by the main zip. I'm always paranoid about losing my car keys, so that's the place for them.
There's an internal poacher's pocket too.

The lining is soft and checked, and the hood is detachable - but I've never detached it, becasue I wear it in bad weather.
Question: does it do its job? Yes, I've kept warm and dry in almost all conditions. I don't think you could get better: it's breathable and lets internal moisture out.

BUT... the price!!! I'm embarrassed to say I paid nearly £300 for it. But if you think that's bad, it's been re-designed this year and now sells for £425.

With country clothing, the old models stay around for a few years, and I have found it at Best in the country, click for details (you do get a free scarf!!!) at £360 and at Ardmoor for £224 (limited sizes though).

I do have another Goretex jacket. Waterproof but with no lining. Uncomfortable to wear unless you actually need its waterproofness. The Musto is great to wear, and stylish in a countrified sort of way.

Or just stay in when it rains. Your choice.

Next blog from the Lincolnshire coast

Technical details for the jacket:
  • Durably waterproof, highly breathable and windproof
  • Gore-Tex® lined
  • Removable two-way adjustable peaked hood
  • Synthetic suede trim on collar lining, chin guard and pocket trim
  • Handwarmer pockets with microfleece lining and flap retainers
  • Two inner poacher's pockets
  • Studs concealed within stormflap preventing stock damage
  • Articulation cut into sleeve design
  • Two stud adjustable outer cuffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment