Monday 8 December 2014

Saltwells walk - more

Yesterday, I walked from Northfield Road to Lodge Farm reservoir.
The canal carries on towards Blowers Green, and Merry Hill: I'll investigate there soon. It's so fascinating to see the hidden gems of the Black Country


As I turned back, these ducks swam determinedly towards me

Last glimpses of the reservoir, towards Netherton,with the church in the distance



Looking to the west, and the setting sun
I tried to see the sailing/watersports club, but it was all barred: not a single boat visible 

The setting sun hit this steel-stockholding factory

People were still working (well, it was only 4.15)

The canal sign was was about Hingleys - a local steel firm which made the anchor for the Titanic

Closeup of the thick chain

There's even an anchor on the gate
You can see that the canal is rooftop height - and well-used by dog-walkers and others
 The view back towards the Clent Hills
It's worth noting that I didn't have a map, and simply followed the canal: there are interesting sights along any stretch, as this demonstrates (I didn't realise the reservoir was by the canal - though I probably should have!).
The route: I parked in the industrial estate by the canal bridge on Northfield Road, and followed the canal for 1.5 miles to Lodge Farm reservoir. Total 3 miles - easy to follow, level walking. 300 calories consumed.



No comments:

Post a Comment