Tuesday 14 October 2014

Habberley Valley - walking without a map

On Monday I found myself out in the countryside in pouring rain without a map.
I decided to experiment. Can you do a good walk without one?

The Habberley Valley looked like a good place to start. There was a car park and a picnic site on the sign (I've never been before)

Once parked, there was an information board...


...with a handy map indicating a 2.5 mile walk


I set off to do the start (not time for all of it)

 This optimistic board with its pictures of red kites and peregrine falcons made me smile (I've never seen either round here)


The route was clearly indicated


...although I did miss this one to start with (it's on the right, behind the gravel pile)


Colourful underfoot...


...and quite steep (the angle is accurate!)


Looking back


On my return by the same route, these bullocks came to say hello
Answer: Yes, it is possible to walk map-free, and these signed routes do really help

Habberley Valley is on the B4190 Wolverley to Bewdley Road, not far from the Ramada Hotel, now the Mercure. Parking is free.
The website  habberley walk says the views are fantastic. There was too much rain to see them on this occasion.
I'll go back in the sunshine - without a map, though. No need.

No comments:

Post a Comment