Thursday 16 October 2014

Netherton, and Bumble Hole

This walk is in Netherton, Dudley. Off Northfield Road

In an urban area, I parked in an industrial estate

 The road names give the clue to where I was heading


As I walked up to the bridge I heard this boat. The canal was the start of my walk

 Some people work hard on their canalside gardens

The walk started off quite built up, which was what I expected 

This view came as a surprise though: I was expecting a run down canal, and the backs of houses and old factories - after all, the canals don't carry freight any more

But this was a very beautiful and interesting section

The information board even gives outlines of different routes for keeping fit
 

This is Bumble Hole bridge. So famous, I'd heard of it in Leicester in the 1970s (We had a canal boat then)


The signage is a little worn, but this is one of the nicest mile-posts I've ever seen


 The welcome sign - a Fox and Goose. Think there's a pub near by

This is what I'd come to see: Netherton Tunnel. The wonder of its age. Whereas Dudley Tunnel had to be navigated by legging, Netherton had two towpaths (for the horses) and was at one point lit by electric lights.
Again, so famous I knew about it before I ever came to live in the Black Country


You can only walk along one side of the tunnel now. The little dot is the far end , 2684 metres away (1.6 miles)


Looking back out



The path is well used - cyclists and dogs!


Back to Bumble Hole again,...


...I turned towards Halesowen
Of which more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment