Thursday 30 October 2014

Runkeeper - a helpful (free) app

About a fortnight ago, I introduced a new app to my phone. It's called Runkeeper, and is free. Here's my experience so far:

I know I walk rather than run, but it seems to be a really good app for recording all forms of exercise.

Using it when walking
You indicate to Runkeeper whether you plan to run, cycle, or walk, press start and it then tracks your progress via GPS. There are 5 minute updates on:
  • time elapsed
  • distance covered
  • average speed
I find it quite motivating; in fact it makes me want to speed up, to keep the average high, and it also shows me when I'm flagging.

When I know the distance I'm doing, it's great to hear the miles building up.

Runkeeper can be paused and re-started (if I were to stop for lunch, for example). I did start pausing it every time I stopped to take a photograph, but when it re-starts, it updates 5 minutes after the restart, as well as every five minutes from the original time. By the time I'd paused it for 6 photo opportunities, I had an almost continual update! So I abandoned that

Motivation by email
As well as the progress shown on my phone, there are various motivating emails. This is what I was sent after last week's Stourport/Bewdley circular walk:
CONGRATULATIONS
A New Personal Best for Walking!

Farthest Distance
9.59 mi
Longest Duration
4:11:24
Most Calories Burned
958 cal
Largest Elevation Climb
694 ft


Great to see that I used up 958 calories! That really was motivating. 
I had other emails saying things such as well done, keep it up. This is your best two mile walk (I'd only recorded one, so it was bound to be really)

Target-setting
Runkeeper lets you set targets - weight, time exercising, distance etc.
I set a target to walk 30 miles by November 1st. I've only recorded 15.8 so far, but I have a big walk planned for tomorrow. I might have to go round and round Kinver Edge on my return if it's not far enough.
I've had emails updating me on how close I'm getting to the target. 

Do I recommend it?
Absolutely. An upgrade is possible - you can have training plans sent to you. But for me the simple recording is just great. I love having accurate records of my progress.
(I do write them down too, in case Runkeeper suddenly becomes a paid-for app).

So watch out for tomorrow's planned walk: the next stage of the Staffordshire Way. I'll be using Runkeeper  to monitor my progress. Maybe I'll reach my target!


No comments:

Post a Comment