Monday 20 October 2014

Staffordshire Way - Penkridge

Continuing my walk from the tiny village of Lapley, the sky went dark

More polytunnels - the Way was full of them on this section


This was Bickford Meadows nature reserve. Boggy and overgrown, with loads of buzzing insects. Plenty of nature, but difficult to enjoy walking through waist high nettles, with wet feet and no distinguishable path



 I was relieved when I got to this bridge at the end. At least it proved I hadn't got lost, even though the path was invisible

 My lunch spot


Later, the way followed a farm track. Quite wet here


Wetter still


Even wetter


Arriving at Penkridge with its drunken road sign



Some nice buildings
 ...and shops



I didn't try any of the pubs or cafes as I had a train to catch
 I didn't really know Penkridge, even though I'd been through it many times. Another place which would repay further inspection...

Walk details. I managed this whole section without a map, just using the Staffordshire Way Guide published by S.Staffs Council. I can email you a PDF - just let me know.
Brewood to Penkridge is 8.9 miles. I left my car at Wolverhampton station, took a bus to Brewood, and a train from Penkridge to Wolverhampton.













No comments:

Post a Comment